Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day

Its midday on the first tuesday in November and I've just arrived in Birmingham Alabama. When I arrived there was absolutely nothing to do, but I happened to walk passed the Obama 08 headquarters. So decided to volunteer. It turned out this meant calling Florida voters (Alabama is a lost cause I spose). You had to use your own phone. The room was full of a diverse bunch, young women, an old lady, a middle-aged man, white and black. Everybody seemed to be enjoying the feeling of helping out. About 15 volunteers on the phones. I felt a bit silly using my own phone credit, and also using an Australian accent to convince Floridians to get out and vote. So I just made one call to be part of the process. and then I headed on out.

Now to check out these queues, which apparently are stupidly long. I'm not one of those to criticize American democracy too much, but waiting for 6 hours to vote is just dumb.

No comments: