Sunday, October 19, 2008

2 hours is some time to wait.

The vast majority of passing drivers will steadfastly avoid communication with the hitchhiker. There are, however, a plethora of signals a passing driver will sometimes employ when he doesn't intend to stop. Unfortunately, we will never be sure of the exact meaning of these signals. Afterall, they are given by someone who we will never have a chance to ask. However, I will try to interpret one or two as I understand them.
A classic is the sideways finger-point. This means: "I would pick you up, but as I am turning just up ahead I'm afraid I cannot assist you."
Another is the shoulder shrug, especially popular amongst women drivers. This means: "I would pick you up, but let's face it, I don't know who you are and frankly I don't want to know."
Another is vocal, which is the mouthed 'sorry'. This means "I would pick you up, but the worlds is full of dangerous people you know, and I wish it wasn't so, but it is, so sorry."
One I very much enjoy is the good-ol' wave. This means: "Hello, I would pick you up, but...hey, who am I kidding, I'm not going to pick you up, but hello!" I like this one and I would encourage all motorists who pass hitchhikers by to try it.
Today, I experienced not once, but twice a completely new signal. This I shall call the 'no-way Jose'. It involves a shocked glare, followed by the raising of the index finger, and a shake of that finger from side to side. This seems to say "Not in a million years would I pick you up, no sir, no way Jose."
Its instinct I guess. Standing where I was today, there wasn't much time for the drivers to think of what they would do. I guess the NWJ was just a spur-of-the-moment reaction. I started to think what signal I instinctively give. Probably the shoulder shrug. If I had more time the wave I think. Hard to know, it's a tough decision. I think I'd just stop.

No comments: